Spread (offense) is dead?

ill

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 1,000.00
heard something this morning about how the 49ers offense is going away from the spread offense we have been seeing over the years and is a big part of their success. I hadn't thought about it much but I guess they aren't using the sidelines as much as other teams and using the middle of the field more, which I think they can with McCaffrey and Samuel and Kittle...it just works for them.

Also look at CFB. Last 3 titles are UGA, UGA, Migh. When you're built in the trenches no need for the spread

Reactions: ill
Also look at CFB. Last 3 titles are UGA, UGA, Migh. When you're built in the trenches no need for the spread
the most spread out offense last season was the Bills where their average width was 29 yds.

the Niners averaged 19 yds.

Things like this go in cycles. I wouldn't consider the spread dead, just temporarily depreciated.

When defenses adjust to the latest offensive trends, the offensive trends change. And vice versa.
This!

Football is a game of adjustments.

Things like this go in cycles. I wouldn't consider the spread dead, just temporarily depreciated.

When defenses adjust to the latest offensive trends, the offensive trends change. And vice versa.

This!

Football is a game of adjustments.

Yep. How many times has it been said that the NFL is a copycat league?

Spread vs compact matters more for the player personnel you have at your disposal. The more significant trend in NFL offenses at the moment is pre snap motion.

Harbaugh just hired Greg Roman. You know what that means.

Harbaugh just hired Greg Roman. You know what that means.
what-does-that-mean-kenan-thompson.gif

Yep. How many times has it been said that the NFL is a copycat league?

Spread vs compact matters more for the player personnel you have at your disposal. The more significant trend in NFL offenses at the moment is pre snap motion.
And QBs that can successfully "ad lib" BOTH in and out of the pocket when things don't go like Xs and Os were drawn up. The old belief was you could only win with a "pocket passer". The high schools and colleges changed before the NFL did...as per usual.

And QBs that can successfully "ad lib" BOTH in and out of the pocket when things don't go like Xs and Os were drawn up. The old belief was you could only win with a "pocket passer". The high schools and colleges changed before the NFL did...as per usual.

Mobility for a QB has definitely become something offenses are using more and more. Just the threat of a QB taking off presents additional challenges for a defense. Just don't want to feature it too much because if your QB takes a bad hit and gets hurt, it does more harm than good.

The pre-snap motion is used generally to force a defense into tipping its hand with coverage and/or to create matchups that are beneficial to the offense. Last night we saw it a lot. The 49ers were able to stack or motion receivers so they ended up being covered by safeties, which they were able to get easy separation on instead of corners where they would have more difficulty.

Mobility for a QB has definitely become something offenses are using more and more. Just the threat of a QB taking off presents additional challenges for a defense. Just don't want to feature it too much because if your QB takes a bad hit and gets hurt, it does more harm than good.

The pre-snap motion is used generally to force a defense into tipping its hand with coverage and/or to create matchups that are beneficial to the offense. Last night we saw it a lot. The 49ers were able to stack or motion receivers so they ended up being covered by safeties, which they were able to get easy separation on instead of corners where they would have more difficulty.
Yeah, sometimes it comes down to "pick you poison" for a defense. KC decided their "poison" might be an exposed secondary but they weren't willing to let SF run it down their throat. The secondary held up enough...especially when there was enough pressure on Purdy.

The last 2 Super Bowls have featured all Big 12 quarterbacks though Philly doesn't really run the spread.

I would run a spread O on goalline. Spread them all out instead of bunching up. Then run the QB sneak.