Calipari Is Spending Millions at Arkansas on NIL

Reaction score
Bookie:
$ 10,500.00

This is going to be interesting because it looks like Arkansas is going all in for basketball (let's be honest I'm not sure there is enough NIL in the state to solve their football problems playing in the SEC) and the guys ponying up are going to expect results and fast.

I think Tenn takes a step back next year losing Knecht (who pretty much beat Auburn by himself and solidified the SEC championship) and Zeigler who was the heartbeat of that team. However Auburn and Alabama both seem to be reloading and getting guys to come back so they aren't going to give up their gains easily and both Florida and South Carolina made pretty big strides last season as far as improvement.

Calipari is going to get the talent but he is going to run into the same brick wall of can he get that talent to gel and work as a team and his track record is not great in that regard. Add in that fact that we all know Calipari is selling this strategy hard to the boosters and they are eating it up and you have the beginnings of a train wreck. The only saving grace is that last season was so dismal that improvement won't be that hard, but the truth is they aren't that far removed from a decent run in 2022 where they were beaten by Baylor but probably played them the best out of anyone in the tournament so I'm not sure what their fans' expectations are.

This is going to be interesting because it looks like Arkansas is going all in for basketball (let's be honest I'm not sure there is enough NIL in the state to solve their football problems playing in the SEC) and the guys ponying up are going to expect results and fast.

I think Tenn takes a step back next year losing Knecht (who pretty much beat Auburn by himself and solidified the SEC championship) and Zeigler who was the heartbeat of that team. However Auburn and Alabama both seem to be reloading and getting guys to come back so they aren't going to give up their gains easily and both Florida and South Carolina made pretty big strides last season as far as improvement.

Calipari is going to get the talent but he is going to run into the same brick wall of can he get that talent to gel and work as a team and his track record is not great in that regard. Add in that fact that we all know Calipari is selling this strategy hard to the boosters and they are eating it up and you have the beginnings of a train wreck. The only saving grace is that last season was so dismal that improvement won't be that hard, but the truth is they aren't that far removed from a decent run in 2022 where they were beaten by Baylor but probably played them the best out of anyone in the tournament so I'm not sure what their fans' expectations are.
Calipari's entire system was "come here for one year and then off to the NBA where you can make money" and it worked prior to NIL. Now kids aren't in a rush to get to the NBA unless they are a no-doubt top 10, and no-doubt top 10 aren't lining up to play for Arkansas when they can go to other schools and make a lot of money with NIL.

Calipari's entire system was "come here for one year and then off to the NBA where you can make money" and it worked prior to NIL. Now kids aren't in a rush to get to the NBA unless they are a no-doubt top 10, and no-doubt top 10 aren't lining up to play for Arkansas when they can go to other schools and make a lot of money with NIL.
They are lining up right now he is paying BIG bucks to get them too.

It's not sustainable though because they will hit booster fatigue very quickly so he has to win and win quickly.

They are lining up right now he is paying BIG bucks to get them too.

It's not sustainable though because they will hit booster fatigue very quickly so he has to win and win quickly.
More NIL money going to basketball players means less NIL money going to football players. Can't imagine Arkansas has deep enough pockets to get into an NIL pissing match

More NIL money going to basketball players means less NIL money going to football players. Can't imagine Arkansas has deep enough pockets to get into an NIL pissing match
Not unless they REALLY start begging Jerry Jones, and even then.....

Not unless they REALLY start begging Jerry Jones, and even then.....
My understanding is that John Tyson of Tyson Foods and a couple of the Walton Family members (Walmart money) are going all in.

So rumor is (being reported by supposedly media people but anyone can call themselves that) the kid Rutgers that Bama just signed got 2mm in NIL and that UNC had actually offered more.

I guess I’ve been a sleep at the wheel because I thought 2mm was reserved for proven can’t miss QBs for football and had no idea Basketball money had gotten to that point.

I don’t think coaches are really recruiting much anymore just looking in the portal and making bids.

My enthusiasm for college sports is demising.