2023 -- the best year for CFB blue bloods ever?

OP's Tweet needs to define Blueblood. Not sure that LSU and UGA are on that list. I don't consider UGA to be a BB.

We are kind of in an interesting space on such a list - we aren't a BB, IMO, but we aren't Nouveau riche, either. BB are what are listed in @Mistaken4193 above. Nouveau riche are teams like Miami, FSU, UF, and a few others. UGA, LSU, PSU, Tenn, AU, Clemson, USC just don't really fit into either category. And, of course, we are not even talking about the Ivys.
I'd definitely put LSU and Clemson in this same group. They've had pockets of exceptional football but overall are outside the top 10 in winning % in the modern era.

If you are talking USC I agree they are right at the BB level, but they've never had the local support, or sustained periods of success that you need to be BB. They got a lot of pub in the 60s and 70s because it's LA.

If someone insisted on USC being called a BB, I wouldn't die on that hill.

I'd definitely put LSU and Clemson in this same group. They've had pockets of exceptional football but overall are outside the top 10 in winning % in the modern era.
LSU has much more CFB history than Clemson, IMO. I can see Clemmy being in that group. But they were solid in the late 70s and 80s.

OP's Tweet needs to define Blueblood. Not sure that LSU and UGA are on that list. I don't consider UGA to be a BB.

We are kind of in an interesting space on such a list - we aren't a BB, IMO, but we aren't Nouveau riche, either. BB are what are listed in @Mistaken4193 above. Nouveau riche are teams like Miami, FSU, UF, and a few others. UGA, LSU, PSU, Tenn, AU, Clemson, USC just don't really fit into either category. And, of course, we are not even talking about the Ivys.

"For those asking, here are the best average SP+ ratings since WW2."
1713900618328.png

LSU has much more CFB history than Clemson, IMO. I can see Clemmy being in that group. But they were solid in the late 70s and 80s.
Clemson has made up a ton of ground. They're almost neck and neck all-time in winning % (LSU is 14th in the modern era, Clemson is 15th). LSU has 11 more wins all-time and 1 more national title. I was surprised to see this.

So, I dated the daughter of an Atlanta Blueblood family for 4 years in and after college. For those that don't get the concept, BB status means that in the past the family (or CFB team) was extremely prominent in the shaping of some type of society (USA as a whole, or maybe the south or Atlanta as in my GF's family, or CFB). One maintains BB status even if they have fallen on hard times, which most have or do. Think Nebraska. The bloodline gets watered down as the ones who took the family to prominence die off, and their imbecilic progeny, who get to live rich and not earn it, fuck everything up. You can see this in the English royalty, where the estates are getting sectioned off because the new generations are all neerdowells. This happened with my girlfriend's family even though they had houses everywhere and still lived large compared to everyone else. Everything was just kind of worn out. Sure, they had houses at many beaches, but they weren't kept up well because that cost money - a lot of money - the family simply didn't have because that was going to the 10 golf and yacht club memberships, and to support lifestyles for those not making any money.

So BB status in CFB has nothing to do with current status. Using one of my favorite teams that I grew up with, Nebraska, they are BB, no doubt. And even if they start winning, they are BB, not Nouveau riche. ND, Michigan (their current cheating success notwithstanding), and USC are also good examples. BBs are good for CFB, IMO, and it'd be nice if some of these programs could get successful again.

Clemson has made up a ton of ground. They're almost neck and neck all-time in winning % (LSU is 14th in the modern era, Clemson is 15th). LSU has 11 more wins all-time and 1 more national title. I was surprised to see this.
But, as my post above points out, making up a ton of ground isn't want makes you BB. In fact, one who has to make up ground, by definition, isn't BB. BB's maintain or lose ground.

Go Big Red!

Nebraska Football GIF by Huskers

But, as my post above points out, making up a ton of ground isn't want makes you BB. In fact, one who has to make up ground, by definition, isn't BB. BB's maintain or lose ground.
I see where you're coming from, but I also wouldn't consider LSU a blueblood either, or really all that close.

I see where you're coming from, but I also wouldn't consider LSU a blueblood either, or really all that close.
I don't either. They are on my list above of those teams that are tweeners - UGA, LSU, PSU, Tenn, AU, Clemson, USC (arguable).

So, I dated the daughter of an Atlanta Blueblood family for 4 years in and after college. For those that don't get the concept, BB status means that in the past the family (or CFB team) was extremely prominent in the shaping of some type of society (USA as a whole, or maybe the south or Atlanta as in my GF's family, or CFB). One maintains BB status even if they have fallen on hard times, which most have or do. Think Nebraska. The bloodline gets watered down as the ones who took the family to prominence die off, and their imbecilic progeny, who get to live rich and not earn it, fuck everything up. You can see this in the English royalty, where the estates are getting sectioned off because the new generations are all neerdowells. This happened with my girlfriend's family even though they had houses everywhere and still lived large compared to everyone else. Everything was just kind of worn out. Sure, they had houses at many beaches, but they weren't kept up well because that cost money - a lot of money - the family simply didn't have because that was going to the 10 golf and yacht club memberships, and to support lifestyles for those not making any money.

So BB status in CFB has nothing to do with current status. Using one of my favorite teams that I grew up with, Nebraska, they are BB, no doubt. And even if they start winning, they are BB, not Nouveau riche. ND, Michigan (their current cheating success notwithstanding), and USC are also good examples. BBs are good for CFB, IMO, and it'd be nice if some of these programs could get successful again.
Earned their money the old fashioned way...they inherited it?

If you are talking USC I agree they are right at the BB level, but they've never had the local support, or sustained periods of success that you need to be BB. They got a lot of pub in the 60s and 70s because it's LA.

If someone insisted on USC being called a BB, I wouldn't die on that hill.
Not consistent local support. I can't recall ANY California team having all out support throughout time like you are referencing. That said, I'll also put that in the same category I did with the Texas reference I replied to about A&M's money. Like their deep pockets, there aren't many schools that have fan support like the Aggies do. That group will support them to the nth degree even when they suck.

Earned their money the old fashioned way...they inherited it?
The parents of the generation I was dating, totally. Interestingly, of the 3 siblings in the family I was dating into, the oldest son and my girlfriend were both really sharp, have taken over the family businesses and are doing very well with them. The 3rd is an alcoholic and not involved. They will at least pass it along to their children in better shape than they got it. I am actually reading a book about the family right now ... it's going to be an interesting read to see if it matches up with all the stories I was told.

Not consistent local support. I can't recall ANY California team having all out support throughout time like you are referencing. That said, I'll also put that in the same category I did with the Texas reference I replied to about A&M's money. Like their deep pockets, there aren't many schools that have fan support like the Aggies do. That group will support them to the nth degree even when they suck.
My point that I don't think I made very well is that all the BBs on the list have had incredible fan buy-in as they became BBs. Not USC, ever. But I said I was fine if people considered them a BB. Not a hill I'll die on.

Going to be real interested if this is a noted and sustained bump with NIL and eventually employer-employee relationships coming to CFB.