DIY Home/auto Repairs/maintenance

I need to put a ceiling fan in my master bedroom. Guessing I need to beef up the ceiling above before just screwing the fan base to the light box in the ceiling? Anyone done this recently?

Also, I’d like to have separate switches for the light and fan, but I don’t really want to try running new wire to a switch.

I need to put a ceiling fan in my master bedroom. Guessing I need to beef up the ceiling above before just screwing the fan base to the light box in the ceiling? Anyone done this recently?

Also, I’d like to have separate switches for the light and fan, but I don’t really want to try running new wire to a switch.

I think those boxes are secured to a joist.
If you can't have 2 switches, get one with a remote control, and you don't need it.

I hate sweating copper & knuckle busting pipe fittings

I hated sweating copper until learning the bread ball trick.
Shark Bite fittings are the balls. They are not cheap, but even if you need a 1/2 dozen or more you still haven't come close to paying for the first hours of a professional plumber (let alone the trip charge that some hit you with) and you don't have to burn your house down.

I hate sweating copper & knuckle busting pipe fittings
I don't mind it on new work. I HATE sweating copper fittings on lines that have had water before. No matter if I use the special plugs, trying to blow out the line, or even my dads trick of using white bread to plug the line...the solder ALWAYS blows out because I can't get all the water out. uggh.

I think those boxes are secured to a joist.
If you can't have 2 switches, get one with a remote control, and you don't need it.
Also, keep in mind that generic remote units are available that work with just about all the new ceiling fans. Bout $30-35 at Lowes/Home Depot last I saw.

You can hire a guy who knows what he’s doing for $90 per fan. New switch will run you $25. That’s McKinney TX pricing as of yesterday.

Shark Bite fittings are the balls. They are not cheap, but even if you need a 1/2 dozen or more you still haven't come close to paying for the first hours of a professional plumber (let alone the trip charge that some hit you with) and you don't have to burn your house down.
I love those, but only on exposed pipes. nothing I'm going to put behind a wall or under concrete. I figure at some point they are going to leak and I want to be able to occasionally inspect them. But they are awesome.

I love those, but only on exposed pipes. nothing I'm going to put behind a wall or under concrete. I figure at some point they are going to leak and I want to be able to occasionally inspect them. But they are awesome.
With the exception of some garages and a couple of condo goups that were builty on reclaimed swamps, we don't have many homes built on slabs around here and typically if it involves opening up walls or roughing in an entire bathroom I have a plumber on site so I don't think I've ever buried them either.

@fordman84

I know you had to do some shit this Summer.

@Edisto_Tiger
I haven’t done a damn thing around the house this summer. For some reason, at the age of 50, I decided to take on more work than I have ever had.

I’ve done a ton of work around other peoples’ houses and boats though.

wait, I just thought of some things. I changed the deck belt, both transmission belts, and a pulley on my lawnmower. Then spliced a broken ground wire in my truck door that was causing a “ door ajar” alert to flash constantly. It Also caused the cabin light to stay on and wouldn’t allow me to roll down the windows. So there’s something.

I don't mind it on new work. I HATE sweating copper fittings on lines that have had water before. No matter if I use the special plugs, trying to blow out the line, or even my dads trick of using white bread to plug the line...the solder ALWAYS blows out because I can't get all the water out. uggh.
Yeah, it seems like my copper sweating jobs are always wear the water will not completely shut off and it’s overhead. Nothing like some hot solder on your shoulder blade

I'm in the process of trying to fix a leak on our pool filter. Noticed it leaking after we got back from a trip in July so I pulled it apart and cleaned all the gaskets. Helped for about a week then started leaking again. ordered new gaskets and put them on, the leak was worse. now when the pump comes on water sprays out the top of the filter near the air bleed. Took it apart and really inspected it and there is a crack running up the threads on the plastic body. Can barely see it but when it's tightened I bet it spreads out. So ordered a new one and gotta pick it up today. Feels like I have been working on things around the pool all summer. :L

They make these brackets that expand between the trusses/joists, then yoiu just screw the light box to it, and mount the fan.

I'm in the process of trying to fix a leak on our pool filter. Noticed it leaking after we got back from a trip in July so I pulled it apart and cleaned all the gaskets. Helped for about a week then started leaking again. ordered new gaskets and put them on, the leak was worse. now when the pump comes on water sprays out the top of the filter near the air bleed. Took it apart and really inspected it and there is a crack running up the threads on the plastic body. Can barely see it but when it's tightened I bet it spreads out. So ordered a new one and gotta pick it up today. Feels like I have been working on things around the pool all summer. :facepalm:
Had a capacitor go out in a pump I installed last summer. The fucker would turn on, not move, and just hum until tripping the breaker. I was thinking the worst, but it was just a $30 part and about 20 minutes to fix.

Had a capacitor go out in a pump I installed last summer. The fucker would turn on, not move, and just hum until tripping the breaker. I was thinking the worst, but it was just a $30 part and about 20 minutes to fix.
Oh yeah, those capacitors love to go out. After last summer when the A/C and then both pool pumps cap's went out I ordered a spare to keep around. All three use the same mF range, so one spare means I am always up and running. But now I have a new A/C and two new pool pumps so better not need that capacitor for a while!