Knocked. The. Fuck. Out.

I have a grandson who's "on the spectrum" as they say. He is mostly mainstreamed, but starts his day in a specific classroom to get his day started. I was actually the one who first mentioned that he might have autism. I had previous experience working with the developmentally disabled and autistic kids, so I knew what to look for. My wife and his Mom thought he was "slow", but he's actually really smart and now they both are just amazed at what he comes up with now that he's gotten appropriate assistance and is coming out of his shell.

I don't know where that school is or what their special education program is like or if that kid was mainstreamed or not. I know that in my grandsons district, in order to be mainstreamed, he had to know right from wrong and have some basic understanding of consequences. He still in elementary school, so he doesn't require the level of understanding as would be expected if he were in high school.

I would think that if that kid was mainstreamed at all, it would be similar to my grandson, but wouldn't know for certain. Obviously his autism shouldn't excuse his behavior, but it is definitely something that should be considered when determining his consequences. If we knew his situation re: being mainstreamed, it would give a better idea of how much weight to give it.
My oldest was mainstreamed. He still has his issues but he has an associates and he is going on to get his bachelor degree. He has some articles in the school paper and that is what he wants to go into. He wants to go into sports journalism and he has done one football game. He is going to do some basketball ones coming up. They asked him to do some pistons games. That freaks me out as I am not so sure I want him driving downtown detroit all by his lonesome.

Wife and I are amazed at his accomplishments. Everything is so hard for him Everything. He pushes through.

The world scares me with him. He trusts.

So being on the spectrum is something they are going to lean heavily on as a defense to try and get him tried as a youthful offender because right now they are going after him as an adult.

The mofo is going to kill someone at some point so he needs to be off the streets period because he is a threat to public safety. Being on the spectrum is not an excuse.
Since I am going backwards through this thread and haven’t seen the original post.

But the last sentence is spot on. If a person is a danger they need to be off streets, period!